Dual NIC = hang

Robin Lee Powell rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org
Mon Feb 9 04:10:59 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 01:21:27PM +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > Thank you for that, sincerely.
> >
> > However, I keep asking whether any of these workarounds are
> > going to make it into FAI mainline, and people keep sending me
> > more workarounds, which is not what I was asking about!
> >

> As far as I can tell, it's really not a problem of FAI, but an
> issue in initramfs. I thus doubt that "it will make it into FAI
> mainline".

After a stupendous amount of research, I've figured out what you
meant.  :)  Sorry about that.  I'm coming into this not
understanding FAI internal at all.

The problem appears to be with
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/live inside of the live-initramfs
package, which calls ipconfig without a -t option.

I tried to make a workaround, but it fails badly:

    Running: ipconfig -t 10 eth0
    IP-Config: eth0 hardware address 00:e0:81:45:ed:8a mtu 1500 DHCP RARP
    [   25.776115] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

What it was actually running:

    echo "Running: ipconfig -t 10 ${DEVICE}"
    ipconfig -t 10 ${DEVICE} || echo "ipconfig -t 10 ${DEVICE} failed" | tee /netboot.config

I don't understand how that caused a kernel panic, and I don't know
enough of the internals to have a reasonable chance of figuring it
out in a reasonable amount of time; suggestions welcome.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something