Karmic koala and fai-cd.

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Dec 30 09:57:29 CET 2009

Hi Andreas,

It seems that nobody commented on this so far. Do you maybe have some new
results yourself?

[...]

> Some problems occur:
> - On the usb stick grub does not boot. "GRUB" was the last message.
>   May be a problem with grub_pc?

Could you maybe try the experimental packages? These have a somewhat different
GRUB_PC script; the one in 3.3.2 is AFAIK tied to hd0 instead of writing to a
specific device, so I'd suspect some brokenness.

> - The kernel parameter "hostname=demohost" does not change the
>   hostname on the install client. But I can see it in /proc/cmdline

Myself I don't have a Karmic system available, but if you do have one at hand:

cd /usr/share/initramfs-tools
grep -r hostname *

could turn up some interesting information. In Debian sid things still look
pretty fine with results like

scripts/live:       HOSTNAME="${ARGUMENT#hostname=}"

But of course the code in initramfs-tools could also be broken.

[...]

Best,