Using fai-cd from Lenny to install Etch clients

David Ward ansona10 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 23:48:02 CET 2009

I have FAI 3.3.2 on Lenny installing Lenny clients from a CD I generated,
very
nice!

I also want to make a CD from Lenny that installs Etch clients and I figure
that goes something like this -

In /etc/fai/apt/sources, change the sources to etch
In /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf, change FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP to etch

fai-setup -v

Setup config space, make class "ETCH"
cp -a /usr/share/doc/fai-doc/examples/simple/* /srv/fai/config
mkdir /srv/fai/config/basefiles
cp /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/var/tmp/base.tgz
/srv/fai/config/basefiles/ETCH.tar.gz

Edit /srv/fai/config/class/50-host-classes, add ETCH to demohost

Create a partial Etch mirror
fai-mirror -cETCH /fai-etch-partial-mirror

fai-cd -m /fai-etch-partial-mirror my-cd.iso

Now after I boot this Lenny CD the fai menu appears, I choose to install
"demohost", it will lay down an Etch system right?

But sadly it has trouble (mounting the root fs I think) and drops into a
shell -
(initramfs)
...and the running kernel is 2.6.18-6-486 (Etch)
live.log says -
"Mounting aufs on /root failed, no such device"

Now after reading more I think I need to get aufs into my installer (Lenny),
and maybe my initrd or Etch filesystem too?  Not sure.  I can install these
on Lenny -
aufs-modules-2.6-486
and
aufs-modules-2.6.26-2-486

But then if I run fai-setup again debootstrap etch says -
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"aufs-modules-2.6-486"

What to do...  Help?