(Thinking aloud) Priorized defaults

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Dec 14 01:51:52 CET 2009

* Michael Tautschnig <mt at debian.org> [20091214 00:47]:
> [...]

> > PACKAGES aptitude

> > abc
> > bcd
> > cde
> > diffutils | diff
> > [...]

> > So diffutils is being installed unless not installable/unavailable
> > and then diff should be taken instead.

> > Any opinions?

> I'm not sure about PACKAGES aptitude, but when using PACKAGES install a simple

> abc
> bcd
> cde
> diffutils diff

> should be fine, because install_packages would simply drop the unavailable
> packages. It would yield a warning, though.

Right:

  PACKAGES install  := apt-get $aptopt --fix-missing install
  PACKAGES aptitude := aptitude -R $aptopt install

The package resolver of aptitude works pretty well for what I need
already. My problem isn't about Debian's package management itself
but the FAI abstraction of it. As you write it's the "It would yield
a warning, though" part of it. :)

My package validator is based on the writepackages function of FAI's
install_packages. I compare the output of writepackages{} with
what's resulting in the final system. So if I request:

  diffutils diff

via a package class both packages result in writepackages's output
even though just one package is installed finally.

So I just need a way to tell FAI that I need *one* of >=2
alternatives and if that could be resolved, FAI should report the
package as "known + installed" whereas the alternatives can be just
dropped from the @known list.

thx && regards,
-mika-
--