(Thinking aloud) Priorized defaults

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Dec 13 23:50:35 CET 2009

[The gmane gateway to gmane.linux.debian.fai is set to
unidirectional, that's sad. :) Thomas, can you please change this?]

* Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de> [20091210 23:46]:

>     >> Classes I would need:

>     >> flavour: Debian, Ubuntu, SLES
>     >> version: etch, lenny, squeeze, sid, hardy, 10SP2, 10SP3, 10SP4
>     >> architecture: x86_32, x86_64

> A solutions may be to use YAML, which may be better suited to describe
> all the different package names for your environment in an easy
> way. Using YAML and a script, each install client can generate the
> package_config file during installation. Have a look at

> http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/FaiTemplates

Jumping in: is there a way to specify alternatives in the package
selection?

I don't want to maintain classes for etch, lenny, squeeze and sid
(because I already have 4 main package classes) but instead use just
one class file that specifies all the packages I'd like to get, no
matter which Debian suite.

This works fine for most of the packages, but if transitions like
diff->diffutils and mktemp->coreutils take place the package list
inside the installed system doesn't match my package definition.
(And my package validator fails then of course even though the
situation [cw]ould be fine.)

What I'd need is something like:

PACKAGES aptitude

abc
bcd
cde
diffutils | diff
[...]

So diffutils is being installed unless not installable/unavailable
and then diff should be taken instead.

Any opinions?

regards,
-mika-