Adaptec device not discovered correctly during install (wrong GID)

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Thu Dec 10 09:55:07 CET 2009

Hi all,

I'm currently troubleshooting why one of our boxes refuses to install correctly (FAI version
is the one from Lenny, if I've overlooked the bugfix since then, please let me know).

This controller

03:00.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Adaptec 5405
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+ Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/1 Enable-
                Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [d0] Express (v1) Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 512 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s unlimited, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Latency L0 <128ns, L1 unlimited
                        ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
        Capabilities: [90] Vital Product Data <?>
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
        Kernel driver in use: aacraid
        Kernel modules: aacraid

is recognized and the module seems to work, as I can run parted against it and partition
the device manually.

FAI fails to populate diskinfo properly:

The following steps happen:

egrep ' etherd/e[[:digit:]]+\.[[:digit:]]+\b| i2o/hd.\b| cciss/c.d.\b| ida/c.d.\b| rd/c.d.\b| hd.\b| sd[a-z]{1,2}\b|/disc\b| vd.\b' /proc/partitions
   8        0 1952446464 sda

Good so far, but a stat here shows the problem
titan3:/usr/lib/fai# stat /dev/sda
  File: `/dev/sda'
  Size: 0               Blocks: 0          IO Block: 4096   block special file
Device: dh/13d  Inode: 9237        Links: 1     Device type: 8,0
Access: (0660/brw-rw----)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (   25/  floppy)
Access: 2009-12-10 08:25:45.373401598 +0000
Modify: 2009-12-10 08:25:45.516631289 +0000
Change: 2009-12-10 08:25:45.516631289 +0000

Why on Earth should the GID be floppy and not disk? Any idea?

Cheers

Carsten