Install kernel images other than server's architecture in TFTP configuration space

Peter Bittner peter.bittner at thalesgroup.com
Wed Dec 9 16:31:45 CET 2009

Hi,

sorry in advance if is this a stupid question with a trivial answer...

I need to provide several kernel images for booting and installing
clients on our faiserver. Some of them do not match the server's
architecture (e.g. powerpc). How is providing different kernels (and
ramdisk images) typically done?

Additional info: I have managed to install initrd.img- and vmlinuz-
images on the server using apt-get and copy the files from /boot/
to /srv/tftp/fai/ for the following architectures: 486, 686, and amd64.
(filenames: /srv/tftp/fai/{initrd.img,vmlinuz}-2.6.26-2-{486,686,amd64})

Of course, when I try to install a .deb file for powerpc, powerpc-smp,
or powerpc64, dpkg complains kind of correctly:

  dpkg: error processing <.....>.deb (--install):
   package architecture (powerpc) does not match system (i386)

And of course, I actually do not need to install the kernels on the
faiserver system, but that is the easiest way I figured out to get the
kernel image and ramdisk files I need to place into the /srv/tftp/fai/
directory.

Any suggestions how to do this correctly?

Cheers, Peter