setup-storage : Error: Error initialising SCSI device /dev/sda - Invalid argument

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sat Dec 5 23:05:59 CET 2009

Hi Rudy,

sorry for the late reply.

[...]

> >I'm not entirely sure about this, but maybe this is a new error message that
> >parted prints if the disk does not contain a disk label (i.e., is
> >brand-new or
> >had been zeroed) or some disklabel that parted doesn't understand.
> >Could that be
> >the case or should the disk in fact have a label readable by parted?
>
> The disk has been created just with lvmcreate --size 20G -n xenvg diskname
>
> >I'll have a look at the corresponding code in parted and probably
> >this is just
> >an error that must be acknowledged and a new disklabel be written by force.

Could you do another run and run parted manually from the shell you should get
dropped into? Like so:

parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print (should produce said error)
parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print (should work)

I'm just a bit worried for two reasons: (i) I haven't seen this error before,
blank disks should cause a somewhat different error, and (ii) depending on your
Xen configuration you may or may not have /dev/sda really available and only see
/dev/sda1 instead. (I'm using the latter configuration style myself.)

Thanks,