setup-storage for raid5 + lvm

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Apr 28 11:39:00 CEST 2009

[...]
> The error message is the following (full log is at
> http://paste.debian.net/34215/)

The uninitialized stuff warnings indicated some bugs that I need to look into,
but that doesn't seem to be the showstopper.

> Executing: /lib/udev/vol_id -u /dev/sda2
> Command /lib/udev/vol_id -u /dev/sda2 had exit code 4
> Failed to obtain UUID for /dev/sda2
>
> I originally wanted to have one swap slice on each disk, but in this
> case the error is on the sdb swap partition:
>
> Executing: /lib/udev/vol_id -u /dev/sdb2
> Command /lib/udev/vol_id -u /dev/sdb2 had exit code 4
> Failed to obtain UUID for /dev/sdb2
>
> Any clue?

That should only occur with some old mkswap versions that did not set up the
UUID, but that doesn't seem to be the case here:

Executing: udevsettle --timeout=10 && mkswap  /dev/sda2
(STDOUT) Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 1069281 kB
(STDOUT) no label, UUID=3aa0ad8c-b7c9-428d-a2be-3511298c86af

So, mysteriously, that information is lost afterwards. Hmm, looking at the code
of vol_id it seems that parted might have overridden the volume id for
/dev/sda2 (instead of /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda3). Could you re-run that failing
installation and, once it aborts, do

parted -s /dev/sda print

Thanks,