install different kernel

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Tue Apr 28 09:57:05 CEST 2009

Uwe Kastens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a little confused ATM. What is the correct way to install a
> different kernel (than installed on the fai-server) on a client.

Make an entry for the different kernel package in your software package
lists - but see below.

> We have a setup with dhcp, tftpd and pxe. If I set another kernel in the
> pxelinux.cfg/XXXXXXX file, everything works fine. In the very last steps
> of the client setup there comes an error, that the kernel modules for
> the different are missing.

Wait. Here, you're not talking about the kernel and modules being
_installed_ but the kernel and modules _running at install time_.
That's a difference.

You did correctly set the installation kernel(and maybe initrd) in the
pxe config, but the modules for this kernel need to be in the nfsroot or
put altogether in the initial ramdisk.
Just create the right nfsroot, or copy the data into the nfsroot (I'm
not sure how to get such a modification persistent right now).

> So howto add another kernel? Install is as an debian package?

Yes, to gat a different kernel _installed_ , a package is the best and
recommended way. Otherwise, you can also use fcopy and ftar to unpack
files and directories with kernel and modules data.

Henning