running into raid0 and grub-install bugs on lenny

William Francis wfrancis at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 20:36:12 CEST 2009

I'm trying to use the new setup-storage method for creating my raid0
arrays.  I found the bug information (#508192) on the problem and
upgraded to 3.2.19 (fai-client, fai-server) and regenerated my nfsroot
but I still seem to be getting the problem (that it specifies spare
devices where mdadm doesn't allow spare devices for raid0).  If I change
my config to instead make a raid1 device it works just fine. What am I
missing?

If I then install with raid1, grub-install fails to run and I see the
problem outlined in bug #513216 -

# /usr/sbin/grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/target /dev/sda
grub-probe: error: Cannot open `/boot/grub/device.map'
/usr/sbin/grub-install: line 374: [: =: unary operator expected
Installation finished. No error reported.

Is there a work around for this problem?

best regards,

Will