Unable to initialize 2TB partition with FAI 3.1.26 / Lenny

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Apr 22 09:45:48 CEST 2009

> Hi all,
>
> I'm kinda stuck with the following issue;
>
> I have a Dell 2950 with 6 450G SAS disks configured with a hw-raid5 set,
> which gives me a volume of ~2TB. This volume is recognized as sda during
> boottime (log1 below) but somehow sfdisk is not able to initialize the
> volume with the configured partitions (log2 & disk_config below).
>
> I understood fdisk has a >2TB volume issue, but FAI is using sfdisk here,
> right?

[...]

I think you can't use "disks" with more than 2TB with msdos disk labels. You
need to use GPT in such cases (or reconfigure your array to have smaller
physical partitions and use LVM on top of these). For GPT support, you need to
change over to setup-storage; but please update to 3.2.18 to get lots of
bugfixes.

Best,