running out of arp-cache

Henning Fehrmann henning.fehrmann at aei.mpg.de
Tue Apr 21 10:41:43 CEST 2009

Hello,

On a regular running system we have been faced with the problem that
we went out of the arp-cache. This was solved by adding
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh1(2,3)=...
lines in the /etc/sysctl.conf.

The same thing happen now during the FAI installation.
I am not really sure at which point we should increase the arp cache.

The best, in my opinion, would be to do it right in the beginning.

Do you know the right kernel boot parameter to manipulate the arp cache?

If this is not possible, one should do it in the live-initrd or, latest,
in the nfs-chroot environment. Currently, I am not sure whether one runs into
problems already in the initrd.
Is there a generic way to add a proper
/etc/sysctl.conf in the initrd or in the NFS-chroot, configured
somewhere in the make-fai-nfsroot.conf?

Thank you,
Henning