configuring raid controllers with fai?

Andreas Schuldei andreas+linux-fai at schuldei.org
Tue Sep 30 19:52:48 CEST 2008

* Michael Tautschnig (mt at debian.org) [080929 09:34]:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> > hi!
> >
> > does someone configure his raid controllers and raid arrays with fai?
> >
> > i would be especially interested in adaptec and LSI controlers, but even
> > general examples would be worthwhile.
> >

> I actually did all the configuration via the BIOS/Firmware interface, didn't
> even think about doing this at install time. But thinking about it, it really
> seems reasonable if you have a larger number of servers. Do you have command
> line utils to configure the controllers? For some of the Adaptec stuff we had a
> command line client running back in Munich, but AFAIK it was not all that easy
> to find that on the Adaptec web site, because all the newer versions are heavily
> Java based and include a GUI instead of a nice command line client.

we use the adaptec controller on a couple of machines and now
wrote an ugly phython script that configures the raid controller
and disks.

we run it in our config space before the disk_info step. it works
for our configurations. If someone wants to impove the script we
can release it under a free software license.