FAI dying during partition setup

Ryan Steele ryans at aweber.com
Tue Sep 30 00:43:36 CEST 2008

Michael Tautschnig wrote:
>> Recently, I've been trying to set up LVM clients with FAI 3.2.4 for
>> Ubuntu, using Peter Gervai's well-placed LVM hooks.  However, I keep
>> hitting the situation where sfdisk cannot read the partition table, and
>> mke2fs cannot create a filesystem, because it thinks the device is in
>> use.  It's reproducible every time if I FAI-install the client more than
>> once.  E.g., the first time I FAI-install the LVM-enabled host, it
>> works.  But then, if I try it again (with the exact same disk_config),
>> sfdisk and mke2fs drop me to an emergency shell.  I would guess it's
>> because it's unable to get the kernel to re-read the partition table
>> without a reboot, but I'm really not sure how FAI can get around that
>> situation, as there is currently no method for having FAI "pick up where
>> it left off" right after writing the partition table.
>>
>> Has anybody else encountered this?  It really makes FAI unusable.
>> Here's the output from FAI when this happens (from fai.log).  /dev/sda2
>> was my LVM volume:
>>

> Would it be possible to upgrade your fai packages to 3.2.10? These packages
> include a proper version of setup-storage (see also
> http://faiwiki.debian.net/index.php/Setup-storage), which should be able to
> satisfy all your needs.
>
> Best,
> Michael

I can give that a try tomorrow.  The only caveat is that this needs to
run on Ubuntu, though I don't anticipate it being too difficult to adapt
the Debian packages since Ubuntu is a Debian derivative.  In the
meantime, if you (or any other list members) have any inkling as to what
might be causing my latest problem with 3.2.4 + LVM hooks ('pvcreate
--yes --force /dev/sda2' causing the "Device /dev/sda2 not found (or
ignored by filtering)" message), I'm all ears.  Thanks for lending an ear :)

Respectfully,
Ryan