fai-setup running potentially disastrous command?

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Fri Sep 26 10:05:49 CEST 2008

Ryan Steele wrote:
 > [...]
> In fact, it had started deleting the local mirror, which had been
> mounted via NFS.
> It's not catastrophic, since I can rebuild it with
> debmirror,

I think that's very well a quite bad bug, when make-fai-nfsroot deletes
all the nfsroot including the contents of the still mounted mirror!

Depending on where you  are, it can very well be catastrophic, as not
everywhere is an >10Mbit download link...

>but why would make-nfs-root (called via fai-setup) not
> unmount that NFS mirror before executing an 'rm -rf' in an attempt to
> get rid of the old nfsroot?

Because it's a bug,  guess. I also guess, that the nfs mounting of the
mirror simply is not used so very much - as using an ftp apt mirror is
simpler - and when this is configured it can also easier later be used
by the installed systems.

Henning