FAI does not need a tftpd daemon any more, which supports the tsize option

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu Sep 25 09:39:43 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 06:10:41PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
> I just read in the changelog of syslinux-common, that pxelinux 3.70 and
> newer versions does not need a tftpd which has the tsize option. Currently
> FAI recommends the package tftp-hpa which supports this option, we may
> remove this in the future.
>
> >From the changelog of syslinux-common:
>
>  * PXELINUX: We no longer require a TFTP server which supports
>    the tsize option for all transfers.

While that's true, the TFTP server doesn't answer pxelinux requests only.
If there are Alphas involved (yes, I still got some for FAI toys), there
is a remote (even a real) chance that at least the "-r blksize" option to
tftpd-hpa makes sense (I'm talking about XP1000's with the latest, still
buggy firmware, which would use wrong ports if that TFTP option wasn't
handled specially).

Just as a reminder... there's another world beyond PXE.

Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/