Installing deb packages in fai

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Wed Sep 24 08:17:46 CEST 2008

Aitor wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to install deb packages that are not in debian's repositories.
> How should I execute dpkg. How can I run an app installed by that
> package. They are scanner Brother's scanner drivers.

Multiple ways:

* my preferred way: create your own, correct, apt-repository. This is
probably overkill for a singe file, on the other hand, it's very easy:
put a file on an ftp server, create the packages file with
dpkg-scanpackages, and add a sources.list line.

* write a script that downloads the file from anywhere with wget into
/tmp or $FAI_ROOT/tmp and calls dpkg -i upon it. In my opinion, this is
not much easier than the way described before, but will not resolve
dependencies.

* Maybe simpler than the first one, but still no dependency resolving:
put the file into the configspace/files directory and run dpkg -i
$FAI/files/<NAME-OF-DEB>

* Not sure if and how it works: There used to exist the possibility to
put simply debs somewhere into the files area in the configspace, and
then being able to install them via a "normal" config in package_config
file. _if_ that works(especially if creating a packages file is not
explicitly needed), it might be the simplest possibility. Still you end
up with a binary in your files directory, and depending on it's size you
might have problems putting this into your version control system.

Chose one :)

Henning