Problem with GRUB

Olof Mattsson olof.mattsson at axis.com
Tue Sep 23 13:08:36 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 11:35 +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:
> Olof Mattsson wrote:
> > We are setting up a new FAI installation server for deploying Lenny to
> > our clients.
> > The disk partitioning works fine. Were using LVM over softraid.
> > The problem is that GRUB is not installing correctly. The script
> > scripts/GRUB/10-setup fails with exitcode 1.
>
> Do you see any log output with that?
>
> Henning

This is what I get i shell.log:
=====   shell: GRUB/10-setup   =====
+ error=0
+ trap error=1 ERR
+ fcopy -Uv /boot/grub/menu.lst
Classes: LAST fai-client GRUB DHCPC FAIBASE I386 LINUX SW_RAID TEST
DEFAULT
copy_one: source: boot/grub/menu.lst:
ps: /var/lib/fai/config/files/boot/grub/menu.lst
tpath: /target/boot/grub
using class: GRUB
mkdir /target/boot/grub
fcopy: copied /var/lib/fai/config/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/GRUB
to /target/boot/grub/menu.lst
name2num 0 = 0 ; 500 = 500
chown/chmod u:0 g:500 m:33188 /target/boot/grub/menu.lst
executing /var/lib/fai/config/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/postinst
GRUB /target/boot/grub/menu.lst
Test if class NOMBR is in DEFAULT
TEST
SW_RAID
LINUX
I386
FAIBASE
DHCPC
GRUB
fai-client
LAST
ifclass returns 1
You shouldn't call /sbin/grub-install. Please
call /usr/sbin/grub-install instead!

More than one install_devices?
Usage: grub-install [OPTION] install_device
Install GRUB on your drive.

  -h, --help              print this message and exit
  -v, --version           print the version information and exit
  --root-directory=DIR    install GRUB images under the directory DIR
                          instead of the root directory
  --grub-shell=FILE       use FILE as the grub shell
  --no-floppy             do not probe any floppy drive
  --force-lba             force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy
                          BIOS
  --recheck               probe a device map even if it already exists

INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename.

grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by
--root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot
sector.

Report bugs to <bug-grub at gnu.org>.
Can't open /target/boot/grub/device.map
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
Searching for default file ... Generating /boot/grub/default file and
setting the default boot entry to 0
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ...
found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-486
Found kernel: /memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Grub installed on /dev/sda /dev/sdb on
ERROR: postinst returned code 1
++ error=1
+ exit 1
GRUB/10-setup        FAILED with exit code 1.

Grub is installing on sda and sdb when it should be installing on md0

To make things work I need to:
umount everything in /target except /target/root
chroot /target
mount -a
grub-install /dev/md0
Add root (hd0,0) to menu.lst.