Fai to install a Xen Dom0

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Sep 4 09:56:42 CEST 2008

> Can someone point me in the direction of any documentation,  that
> clearly outlines what files would need to be altered and or added to
> use a FAI  to install a xen kernel/ Dom0 on a virgin server?  any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Before coming here and asking for any help, I have googled, wikied,
> IRC logs and tried just about every configuration that I can think of,
> to make this work.
>
> I am using Debian Etch, with etch and sid in sources.list, for the
> version of Xen we use. If I could get any xen/dom0 kernel to work, I
> would consider that a success.

What exactly is it that troubles you? In what sense does a Xen Dom0 differ from
any other host, other than it requires a specific kernel flavor to be installed?
We've installed all our Dom0s that way, and I fail to see the problem.

One thing I'm not sure whether I understood it correctly: Are you trying to
install your Dom0 kernel as part of a complete installation using FAI, or are
you rather planning to "upgrade" your server to a Dom0, which would mean using
softupdates in case of FAI.

Best,