Missing udevsettle in setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Mon Oct 27 18:13:03 CET 2008

Hi!

> It seems that after setting the boot flag for a partition another
> call to udevsettle is needed as otherwise I get errors like:
>
> (CMD) parted -s /dev/sda set 2 boot on 1> /tmp/1M9vjzau1C 2> /tmp/EiBB63qTW8
> Executing: parted -s /dev/sda set 2 boot on
> (CMD) mkfs.ext3  /dev/sda1 1> /tmp/UuvcTzUOVm 2> /tmp/V6Jwp4NIzT
> Executing: mkfs.ext3  /dev/sda1
> Command mkfs.ext3  /dev/sda1 had exit code 1
> (STDERR) mke2fs 1.41.2 (02-Oct-2008)
> (STDERR) Could not stat /dev/sda1 --- No such file or directory
> (STDERR)
> (STDERR) The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?
>
> although after the script is done, the partition does exist as it
> should. The complete format.log can be seen at
> http://paste.debian.net/20120/, the small patch for this would probably
> look like:

[...]

Indeed there is (yet another) udevsettle needed here. In our experimental
packages we have patched this already by adding a call to udevsettle before each
of the commands instead of the fairly tedious do it here, do it there.

As the number of complaints related to this problem seems to increase, we might
want to have another bugfix release. Thomas, could we do one more? 3.2.14 seems
warranted...

Best,