problem setting NFSROOT

Gert Huisman gert at few.vu.nl
Sat Oct 25 13:01:48 CEST 2008

Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > We used to pass  NFSROOT=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/path/to/nfsroot
>     > from the hex-ip-adress file in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/
> Yep, that should also work, but maybe this data gets overwritten by
> the DHCP information.
>
>     > because the ROOTSERVER (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) is always set to
>     > the address of our DHCP server, which is not the same as the NFS server.
> next-server in dhcpd.conf sets this variable (really, I just tries it
> in my environment). But AFAIK this is also the address of the TFTP
> server, from which your install clients tries to download the
> pxelinux.0 file, so this is not really what you want.

I tried to set this in DHCP and it now ipconfig reports the  right  server.
I think I can make a workaround with this setting. Luckily our TFTP
server and
NFS server are the same. I will  try  monday with the real FAI setup.
Thanks for the quick response.
> Mmm, this may be a bug in ipconfig. Ask the klibc-utils
> maintainer or maybe the live-initramfs people if they have a
> workaround or patch for this.

I will report this to klibc-utils maintainer for a real solution.
It seems a clear bug to me if ipconfig starts making up values by itself
and prevents the proper working op documented kernel commandline
variables.

Gert Huisman