Problem with GRUB

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Oct 16 20:39:59 CEST 2008

>> - Try to use grub-pc, which is in lenny. In case somebody already has experience
>>   with that one, could you please step up and provide some details? I think
>>   there where some postings on this list recently.
>>
> i use this:
>
> here is my script:
>
> /srv/fai/config/scripts/LAST/60-misc
>

>   #!/bin/bash
>
>   $ROOTCMD /usr/bin/grub-mkimage --output=/boot/grub/core.img ext2 pc
> gpt biosdisk lvm
>   $ROOTCMD /usr/sbin/grub-install '(md0)'
>   $ROOTCMD /usr/sbin/grub-setup   '(md0)'
>   $ROOTCMD /usr/sbin/update-grub
>   $ROOTCMD update-initramfs -k all -u
>

> and i removed all the grub things in  the exemples  apart from the
> package add of grub-pc instead of grub obviously.
>
> this is NOT very good as you HAVE to have / on md0 for this to work
> (obviously again).
>
> you also need to add grub-pc to the fai image (chroot to the faiNfsroot
> and aptitude install it).
>
> This is more a hack than a really good way of doing it....

But at least it is a very first attempt to make FAI work with grub-pc! I've
added your suggestions to the experimental FAI packages available from

deb http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download experimental koeln

I added a class called GRUB_PC, which may be used instead of GRUB. It is,
however, completely untested. Feedback is most welcome :-)

Best,