Installclient hangs after kernel boot

Daniel Oetken doe at inmedias.it
Wed Oct 15 20:44:05 CEST 2008

Hi,

I tried to install a FAI server und test this server with a installclient.
I put an old, working FAI server configuration an this new FAI server
using the softupdate. Now I want to boot the installclient and install a
Debian using PXE. The PXE booting is working and the installclient is
i defined before. But before the client can mount the nfsroot it hangs.
The last thats showing up on the monitor is:

-
tg3: eth0: Link is up at 1000Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth1: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
-

And the last I can see in syslog on installserver is, that after the
client gets the kernel and initrd that was delivered by TFTP, the
installserver gets another DHCP Request and gives an answer to client.
TCP Dump confirmed this watching.

I had some problems with the networkcard a Broadcom which uses the tg3
driver and Debian Etch 2.6.18, so I tried to install the client with the
new Etch and a Half kernel. But two rows later it stops too.

-
tg3: eth0: Link is up at 1000Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth1: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
RPC: Registered udp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp transport module
-

I guess there's something with these networkcards but I don't have any
further idea to solve this. I hope someone can understand my bad
"schoolenglish"  ;-)  and has a good tip for this problem.

Kind regards,

Daniel Oetken