Problem with GRUB

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Oct 10 10:11:00 CEST 2008

Hi!

Sorry for the massive delay, but I've been all too busy with real life...

> The problem seem to be in the "config/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/postinst"
> script for GRUB.
> When i change the line:
> [ -r $target/var/log/fai/disk_var.sh ] && .
> $target/var/log/fai/disk_var.sh

> [ -r $target/var/log/fai/disk_var.sh ] && . /tmp/fai/disk_var.sh

I think this line should really be

[ -r $LOGDIR/disk_var.sh ] && . $LOGDIR/disk_var.sh

@Thomas: We should get this fixed in the simple example, at least this confuses
our users.

> GRUB is installed on both hard drives. The variable $target doesn't seem
> to be available for the "postinst" script. When I add the static path to
> the "disk_var.sh" file it works.
> Even though it seems so work the script complains about /dev/md0 as
> $BOOT_PARTITION. I get the error:
> Can't match device: /dev/md0

I don't think it's really getting installed at all. grub lacks proper RAID
support. There's two options here:

- hack the postinst such that it creates 2 entries in menu.lst, one for booting
  off of /dev/sda and another one for booting from /dev/sdb. Christopher, did
  you already hack something like this (BCC'ed)? Someone else?
- Try to use grub-pc, which is in lenny. In case somebody already has experience
  with that one, could you please step up and provide some details? I think
  there where some postings on this list recently.

Best,