NFS/dhcp/tftp on eth1, kernel search NFS it on eth0

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Sun Oct 5 14:34:08 CEST 2008

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Thomas Neumann wrote:

> Jean Spirat schrieb:
> > > All my tests works well but i have a failure when i try to install
> > > a host with two ethernet cards. The dhcp and tftp runs on the eth1
> > > network and it works fine. But the issue is that the fai kernel when
> > > loaded bring not eth1 but eth0.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > to add a little more explanation:
> >
> > - host boot ok
> > - pxe boot get the ip from the dhcp
> > - tftp load the kernel ok
> > - kernel fail to get the NFS server as it brings only eth0 up
> I encountered the same with VMs provided by XenServer. As soon as I add
> a second interface, the newly added interface is enumerated as the first
> one ('eth0') and the previously existing interface is now the second one
> ('eth1'). Which is not that much of a problem when the VM has been
> installed. udev figures out the correct order.

udev and/or ifrename may help.  That implies you provide some sort of
configuration file(s).

You could write a script that picks up the interface name and mac address
during installation and stores that for example in <target>/etc/iftab.
Upon the next boot ifrename will pick that and rearrange stuff for you in
a deterministic manner.

You could also mangle <target>/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
or some such.

Cheers,

--
Cristian