ubuntu 8.10 on client side - sixth experience

Adrian Gibanel Lopez agibanel at alumnes.udl.cat
Sat Nov 29 13:39:09 CET 2008

Here's my sixth experience on trying to make FAI serve Ubuntu 8.10 as a
client from a Ubuntu 8.10 server.
It's just quick notes.

At client's boot:

    Begin: Running /script/live-premount ...
    Done.
    /init: line 191: udevtrigger: not found

udevtrigger not found. I am unable to find any file or any package related to
udevtrigger in ubuntu 8.10.

Should I bother about this error?

I have checked an Ubuntu 7.10 server disk that I had and inside
the squashfs file I have found udevtrigger command in sbin
(the one that /init calls) and I have also found that udevtrigger
was one of the commands included in the 7.10 udev package.

Is this an Ubuntu 8.10 bug?

I have checked udev diffs from 8.10 source package and I think that IT IS
a bug.
I do not bother about it for FAI.

    Trying netboot from 192.168.1.4:/srv/fai/nfsroot ...
    Begin: Trying nfsmount -o nolock -o ro 192.168.1.4:/srv/fai/nfsroot
/live/image
    Done.
    [     11.226675] Registering unionfs 1.4
    [     11.226972] unionfs: debugging is not enabled
    /init: line 14: wc: not found
    warning: can't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directoy
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type
    Done.
    Begin: error while loading share libraries: libpcre.so.3: cannot open
share object file: No such file or
    directory
    Begin: Copying config one real root fs... ...
    cp: cannot create regular file '/root/etc/live.conf': Permission denied

/init: line 14: wc: not found:

wc is found at the nfsroot.
It might be a problem from initrd where the file is not found.

However I think the problem comes from the mount message: you must specify
the filesystem type.

I have edited scripts/live file inside initrd so that nfsmount gets "-t
ext3" also as an option.
Error about -t option not recognised.

Now I am going to debug that mount error, so that I find where it happens.

I write some debug messages and I stop them with sh (exit to exit).

I am going to add wc.

In scripts/live I find this bug:

    It is: mount -o move /cow "${rootmnt}/live/cow"
    It should be:	mount --move /cow "${rootmnt}/live/cow"

I am going to add libpcre.so.3. DONE.

In scripts/init-bottom/udev

    It is: mount -n -o move /dev ${rootmnt}/dev
    It should be: mount --move /dev ${rootmnt}/dev

I am going to add librt.so.1.

In scripts/live

    It is: mount -o move "${d}" "${rootmnt}/live/${d##*/}"
    It should be: mount --move "${d}" "${rootmnt}/live/${d##*/}"

In scripts/live here there is a work-around:

	# tmpfs file systems
	mkdir -p "${rootmnt}/live"
	cat /root/etc/mtab > /etc/fstab # FIX
	mount -t tmpfs tmpfs ${rootmnt}/live
	mount -a # FIX

However it does not work for ever because I get a kernel panic later.

The main bug that I see is that after unionfs mount if you want to mount
a folder like tmpfs in /root/live/ (and /root is from unionfs) I do not
why... everything is lost.

I think a more correct fix is:

	# shows cow fs on /cow for use by live-snapshot
	cat "/root/etc/mtab" > /etc/mtab # FIX
	cat "/root/etc/mtab" > /etc/fstab # FIX
	mkdir -p "${rootmnt}/live/cow"
	#mount -o move /cow "${rootmnt}/live/cow"

but it does not end ok.

In 12fstab:

    chmod 644 ${FSTAB}
    cat >> ${FSTAB} << EOF