ubuntu 8.10 on client side - second experience

Adrian Gibanel Lopez agibanel at alumnes.udl.cat
Wed Nov 26 20:13:21 CET 2008

Hi Fai list,

This is Adrian trying to make Ubuntu 8.10 fai package to serve an Ubuntu
8.10 client.

Here I am going to describe my ==second experience== in detail.
I have already explained my first experience in another email but it has
been held for review because of
its size (probably because having added fai-setup.log file).

    So the first thing you should is to read my first experience mail
because I am going to explain
the modifications to it that I have done and the results.

FLASHBACK: First experience had many aptitute errors on the fai-setup -v
command and finally it did not finish
ok because of live-initramfs not being ok.

One of the last lineas was: ERROR: live-initramfs was not installed inside
the nfsroot.

FLASHPRESENT: Let's see what are my modifications.

/etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf

  Added: --include=aptitude to the FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS variable so that
you have:
  FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--exclude=dhcp-client,info --include=aptitude"

That's all my changes for my second experience.

Let's run fai-setup -v and I will comment the most interesting log lines
so that you advise me
on what to do.

After having installed deboostrap, it creates base.tgz and then installs
another set of packages.
This kind of error (I do not know if it is an actual error or just an
inoffensive warning) happens:

    (Reading database ... 10646 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace base-files 4.0.4ubuntu2 (using
.../base-files_4.0.4ubuntu2.2_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement base-files ...
    Setting up base-files (4.0.4ubuntu2.2) ...
    find: `/var/cache/fontconfig': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/cache/fonts': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/cache/anthy': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/lib/belocs': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/lib/gconf': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/lib/defoma': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/log/installer': No such file or directory
    find: `/initrd.img': No such file or directory
    find: `/vmlinuz': No such file or directory
    find: `/cdrom': No such file or directory
    find: `/media/cdrom': No such file or directory
    find: `/usr/share/fonts': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/lib/anthy': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/lib/defoma': No such file or directory

Some packages later:

  install_packages: read config file NFSROOT
      Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"ext2resize"
    No candidate version found for sysutils
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "ext2resize"
    No candidate version found for sysutils
    The following packages are BROKEN:
      startup-tasks system-services ubuntu-minimal upstart-compat-sysv
      upstart-logd
      bind9-host{a} bootpc cfengine2 console-common console-data{a}
      sysvinit tcl8.4{a} ucf{a} update-inetd{a} usbutils xfsdump xfsprogs
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      kbd{a} upstart
    0 packages upgraded, 78 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/49.1MB of archives. After unpacking 166MB will be used.
      upstart-compat-sysv: Depends: upstart (= 0.3.9-8) but it is not
installable
      startup-tasks: Depends: upstart (>= 0.2.0) but it is not installable
      ubuntu-minimal: Depends: kbd but it is not installable
		      Depends: upstart but it is not installable
      system-services: Depends: upstart (>= 0.2.0) but it is not installable
      upstart-logd: Depends: upstart (= 0.3.9-8) but it is not installable

    Remove the following packages:
    startup-tasks
    system-services
    ubuntu-minimal
    upstart-compat-sysv
    upstart-logd

Is it ok that these packages are broken and remove?

After that I get:

    Removing ubuntu-minimal ...
    Removing startup-tasks ...
    Removing system-services ...
    Removing upstart-logd ...
    Removing upstart-compat-sysv ...
    Removing upstart ...
    dpkg: kbd: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
    console-terminus depends on kbd | console-tools; however:
      Package kbd is to be removed.
      Package console-tools is not installed.
    Removing kbd ...
    /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d: 274: /sbin/runlevel: not found
    Selecting previously deselected package console-data.
    (Reading database ... 10477 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking console-data (from .../console-data_1.07-4_all.deb) ...

As long as I understand the hipothetic post-des-installation script for
kbd runs /sbin/runlevel however it has never installed  on the chroot
sytem or ubuntu-minimal, startup-task, system-services, upstart-logd,
upstart-compat-sysv,
upstart (one of these) did have the /sbin/runlevel among its files.

I suposse that despite of this error kbd is well uninstalled. Isn't it?

Another bunch of packages later...

    Setting up linux-image-2.6.27-8-generic (2.6.27-8.17) ...
    Running depmod.
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-8-generic
    cp: cannot stat `/etc/udev/rules.d/85-lvm2.rules': No such file or
directory
    cp: cannot stat `/etc/udev/rules.d/65-mdadm.vol_id.rules': No such
file or directory
    cpio: ./sbin/udevtrigger: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

Is it ok these udev rules missing ?
And what about the udevtrigger file? I have also noticed in the client
(althought I haven't mentioned
it here yet) that it complains about udevtrigger not being found.

Just after the linux-image-XX-generic setup there is:

    Setting up sysvinit (2.86.ds1-59ubuntu13) ...
    sysvinit: creating /dev/initctl
    init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl

Is it a normal error?

Some packages later:

    Setting up mdadm (2.6.7-3ubuntu8) ...
    W: mdadm: failed to load MD subsystem.
    Generating array device nodes... /var/lib/dpkg/info/mdadm.postinst:
170: /dev/MAKEDEV: not found
    failed.
    Generating mdadm.conf... done (failed to scan arrays; /proc probably
not mounted).
    Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/mdadm-raid ...

Currently I do not bother myself about using raid but I might bother in a
future. Is there anything wrong here?

  And some lines later:

    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-8-generic
    cpio: ./sbin/udevtrigger: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

Once again udevtrigger is not being found.

And some of the last lines are:

    DHCP environment prepared. If you want to use it, you have to enable
the dhcpd and the tftp-hpa daemon.
    Removing `local diversion of /sbin/discover-modprobe to
/sbin/discover-modprobe.distrib'
    make-fai-nfsroot finished properly

And that's ok for me.

Let me try the client and comment you some boot problems.

    Begin: Trying netboot from 192.168.1.14:/srv/fai/nfsroot ...
    Begin: Trying nfsmount -o nolock -o ro 192.168.1.4:/srv/fai/nfsroot / ...
    Done.
    /init: line 14: wc: not found
    mount: error while loading share libraries: libsepol.so.1: cannot open
shared libraries: libsepol.so.1: cannot open object file: No such file
or directory
    mount: error while loading share libraries: libsepol.so.1: cannot open
shared libraries: libsepol.so.1: cannot open object file: No such file
or directory
    Done.
    Begin: Running /scripts/live-bottom ...
    grep: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.3: canno open s
    select file: No such file or direcotry
    Begin: Copying config on real root fs .. ...
    cp: cannot create regular file '/root/etc/live.conf': Permission denied
    Done.
    Begin: Setting timezone... ...

I suppose this is an initrd problem not having libsepol libraries so that
mount is successful. Isn't it?

More errors:

    Begin: Running /scripts/live-bottom ...
    grep: error while loading share libraries: libpcre.so.3: cannot open s
    ect file: No such file or directory
    Begin: Copying config on real root fs... ...
    cp: cannot create regular file '/root/etc/live.conf': Permission denied
    Done.
    Begin: Setting timezone... ...
    cp: not writing through dangling symlink '/root/etc/localtime'
    Done.
    Begin: Moving mount points... ...
    mount: error while loading share libraries: libsepol.so.1: cannot open
    bject file: No such file or directory
    Done.
    Begin: Configuring fstab... ...
    /scripts/live-bottom/12fstab: line 36: cannot create /root/etc/fstab: P
    denied
    touch: error while loading share libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open sh
    ct file: No such file or directory
    Done.
    Begin: Setting up swap... ...
    Done.
    Begin: Setting up locales... ...
    grep: error while loading share libraries: libpcre.so.3: ccannot open s
    elect file: No such file or directory

After many errors (like the perl ones) the machine fails into a kernel panic:

run-init: nuking initramfs contents: Directory not empty
[    16.755800] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

So... how do I solve this problems?

Thank you very much.

--
Firma Automática 1: