Which class gets applied first?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Nov 25 17:16:02 CET 2008

    > Preface: using version 3.2.14
    > In a situation where the FAI client uses several classes that have
    > package_config files, are all the applicable package_config/ files
    > processed in a certain order, or at the same time?
All package names from both classes are combined to a long list.

    > ...does CLASS1 always get executed before CLASS2, resulting in CLASS1's
    > packages being installed first?
No.

    > I get the feeling that all the packages get added
    > to one big packages list when all is said and done
Yep. that's the way install_pacakges is working. you will also see the
in software.log (or fai.log) which shows you how aptitude or apt-get
is called.

I have one situation were I also like to determine the order of
packages that gets installed, so I use a hook for that. Not perfect,
since it doesn't use the package_config file.
IMO it's a bug in aptitude if some combination of packages
don't install well.

Maybe I should add an option for install_packages, which tells it to
isntall packages in the order of classes instead of collecting all
names to a long list.

I there a special reason for you that the packages are installed in
the order of the classes?