default locales

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Nov 13 23:28:14 CET 2008

> As a preface, I'm using 3.2.14 on Ubuntu Server.
>
> I've got FAI install clients that install packages (for example,
> postgresql-8.3) that are dependent on the default locale being set to
> (in my case) en_US.UTF-8.  So, naturally I made sure that my
> /srv/fai/config/debconf/CLASSNAME had the following:
>
> locales locales/default_environment_locale select en_US.UTF-8
> locales locales/locales_to_be_generated multiselect en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

[...]

I think the answer should be pretty simple: put a comma between the different
locales, like

locales locales/locales_to_be_generated multiselect en_US.UTF-8, UTF-8

That should probably solve the problem.

> But even if it does, I really think that FAI should check to make sure
> the client really has the debconf information we're told we can set in
> the $FAI_CONFIGDIR/debconf/ directory.  Based on the log entries (or
> lack thereof), I initially assumed nothing went wrong when setting up
> the client's locales, which is not the case, and wasted time looking
> elsewhere for problems.

There is no way to check anything in this case, basically because nothing was
wrong in the sense of debconf. You can load arbitrary answers into the database,
and debconf will happily accept the data, as long as it is properly formatted.
This data was properly formatted (debconf just assumed "en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8" to be
a single value).

Best,