lenny/amd64 nfsroot on etch/i386

Nikola Knežević laladelausanne at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:40:28 CET 2008

On 4 Nov 2008, at 17:36 , Thomas Lange wrote:

>> I'm running fai-server 3.2.12 on etch. I would like to create a NFS
>> root for lenny/amd64. Unfortunately, it fails every time. I've
> What does uname -a say? Is this a 32 or 64bit kernel?
> You need at least a 64bit kernel (the userspace may be 32bit) to
> create a 64bit nfsroot on this machine.

Hi Thomas,

thank you for your prompt responses. Since I really need lenny, and I
can't upgrade our current machine running fai-server, I decided to do
something different.

I first installed lenny/amd64 on a virtual machine, and copied the
setup from the main fai-server. Then, I changed dhcpd.conf to
advertise this VM as a fai-server. Further, I created another VM on my
laptop, to be the test-client. When I try to install lenny/amd64 on
this test-client using fai, kernel crashes during boot. Specifically,
it never installs, and during the boot process I get this message:
List of all partitions:
No filesystem could mount root, tried:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
block (0,255)

Can someone point me to the right direction? Where should I look to
solve this issue?

Thanks,
Nikola