Kernel panic with hardware RAID

Ryan Steele ryans at aweber.com
Mon Nov 3 20:55:16 CET 2008

Hey folks,

I'm using FAI 3.2.14 on my Ubuntu systems (booting the 2.6.24-21
kernel), and it all seems to work, except when I have a hardware RAID
with no existing partition table.  When the client PXE boots the kernel
that FAI puts in to the TFTP directory, I get kernel panics, where the
kernel complains that it can't find partition tables on any of the
arrays.  I don't have this problem testing in my VM's which have no
hardware RAID.  Has anyone else seen this?  If it matters, I'm using
setup-storage.  I can provide a logfile of the boot process that I
captured via a serial console and minicom, if that would be useful.  But
everything looks normal up until it can't find the partition tables on
the arrays and panics.

Thanks,
Ryan