Bonus packages in fai-mirror

Russel Hill rhill at key.net
Thu Mar 20 01:13:37 CET 2008

We are building using fai-cd from a private package pool (a local subset
of debian packages). Ordinarily, we build our private package pool by
first building an ISO from more complete debian mirror. Then we
post-process the access logs and built our private package pool from
that list of packages. FWIW: This process has been working for us for a
few years now.

We appear to be getting many spurious packages on our fai-cd. For
example, aspell-en gets pulled in by fai-mirror and installed on the
target system. Absolutely nothing in the package poolsdepends on
aspell-en. The only thing I can see is that aspell-en is "Recommended"
by some packages. However, there are other recommended packages that
don't get installed.

aspell-en is only one example of a 'bonus' package. Our ISO has grown
from 410MB with fai v3.1 to 560MB with fai v3.2.4. We can manually pull
some of these spurious packages out but it's very tedious and time
consuming.

Does anybody have a clue what might be causing this? I'd love a sensible
explanation.

Thanks for the help.