FAI 3.2.4 and fai-cd

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Thu Mar 13 09:03:41 CET 2008

[...]
>> Did you add the boot=live option to your kernel command line? Did you remove the
>> /dev/ram0 thingy? Anyway, it might be helpful to post (the relevant part of)
>> your menu.lst.
>>
>> If the command line is correct already, the unionfs modules are likely to be
>> missing in your initrd. Could that be the case?
>
> Attached is a snippet of our menu.lst. As you can see, we've added
> boot=live and removed /dev/ram0.

Ok, that looks fine.

> How would I tell if the unionfs modules are in the initrd? With FAI 3.1 we
> built our own kernel and FAI (mkinitrd-cd) built the initrd it needed. That
> kernel package won't work for FAI 3.2.4 (no pre-built initrd). So, we
> called out the stock debian linux-image-2.6.22-3-686 package.
>
> Does it's initrd contain the unionfs modules?
> How am I supposed to know?
> If not, am I now required to build my own kernel package for fai?
> If so, why did fai-kernel go away?
>
> I'm finding this a little frustrating.

Well, that's understandable. But I'm sure we'll get this resolved today.

Judging from your kernel image version, you are using lenny. Everything should
work out alright if you just let FAI do and don't fiddle around in the NFSROOT
after running make-fai-nfsroot. That is, the following should do:

make-fai-nfsroot
fai-mirror -c<your classes> /your/mirror/path
fai-cd -m /your/mirror/path fai-cd.iso

You might want to run make-fai-nfsroot -v and paste the output to
paste.debian.net and post the link here, in case it doesn't work for you.

Best,