FAI not picking up hostname from DNS

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Fri Jun 27 21:04:54 CEST 2008

James wrote:
>> Usually I only see this, if my DHCP doesn't know the system and gives
>> it a random ip from the pool.
> yeah,
> the shell shows
> root at host#

So, setting the name is broken very early - fai can't make more of it
than it has here.

Surely, it must not be your fault, you can be biten by a new bug in the
newest release which I did not yet test - you could try downgrading to
3.2.6 if you like - with that version, I can assure you FAI works
correctly if your dhcp setting is right.

>> Are you absolutely sure the host's mac and everything is correct in
>> dhcp? Does it really get the intended IP or some random one?
> I wouldn't be able to pxeboot it if it weren't.

Hmm, Usually, you can boot very well even if the hostname is not set -
you just need to tftp server address.

I don't know your setup, but the "host" as hostname is happening to me
only when I start a new VM, and did forget to add it's name/mac/ip to
the second dhcp on my wifi router.
And the systems boot well in this etting - just they are named "host",
which doesn't get them any useful classes... same as you have there.

> also i do an ifconfig
> and everything to doublecheck before reboot and also all the system
> messages during install and everything seems to match up.

hmm...
Can you ping the system by the name you intend it to have?

What do the log messages on the dhcp server say - anything interesting
there?
Did you restart the dhcp after thenameserver entry was made?

Henning