ubuntu install

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Fri Jun 6 11:37:40 CEST 2008

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> I wanted to try FAI to install Hardy Ubuntu on several computers,
> but I'm rather puzzled when seeing that the more recent Ubuntu distrib
> mentionned in all docs and archives is 4 years old(Breezy).
> Is the Ubuntu install actually working now?

Do you install from an Ubuntu or from a Debian Server?

Installing Ubuntu from an Ubuntu Server, using the fai packages schould
work - a hand full of people is supporting these packages in Ubuntu. But
I can't tell myself, as I never ran Ubuntu on a Server, and don't intend
to :)

Installing Ubuntu from a Debian server, should work, too, in a quite
similar way as already described for Breezy.
It's not really actively continously tested and supported (hey, we need
testers, and are willing to fix hings that go wrong!). For example, I,
myself who wrote some of the howtos, am currently not using Ubuntu that
much. But I see no reason why it should go completely wrong with newer
versions.

I think some people are using and doing this, without talking too much
about it.

You should just start on, checking if packages in the examples changed
their names in the meantime, replacing "breezy" with "hardy" in apt
sources.list, etc.  and ask us if problems occur - it's unlikely that
things will happen that can not easily solved.

Henning