Workaround while installing xen kernels

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Tue Jul 15 22:21:32 CEST 2008

Michael Tautschnig rote:
>> I'm installing XenSource VMs

BTW: XenServer commercial stuff or just GPL Xen VM's? (XenSource is
dead/swallowed, in any case and not operating by that name anymore)

>> (ifclass GRUB && ifclass VIRTXEN) && mkdir ${target}/boot/grub && touch
>> ${target}/boot/grub/menu.lst

ACK, have to do the same.

>> Does someone have an explanation what is happening?

Hmm, maybe something along these lines: your going to install a kernel,
which pulls in a bootloader.
But the bootloader has some hard time when "looking at the disk", as
you're only handing over a single partition to the xen guest (it sees
something like /dev/sda1 without /devsda), if you're doing it like most
people do it on debian.
Some of the helper tools involved around this process have some trouble
with the  type of setup...

I guess properly reading the logs in the area where the problem happens
could help a little, but I never took the time.

Henning