Workaround while installing xen kernels

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Tue Jul 15 19:27:26 CEST 2008

hiya

I'm installing XenSource VMs via FAI with Debian and Ubuntu. Since grub
doesn't recognize paravirtualized kernels (when being run from a regular
kernel such as 2.6.18-6-486) I scripted some actions to manually provide a
correct configuration. (among other stuff)

There's a small hack I had to introduce in order to install the
xen-kernels correctly.

-- hooks/instsoft.DEFAULT

#! /bin/bash

# fake a grub config
# we rewrite it later on anyway
(ifclass GRUB && ifclass VIRTXEN) && mkdir ${target}/boot/grub && touch
${target}/boot/grub/menu.lst

--

I don't like it and I want to get rid of it. But I'm not quite sure why I
need it. The thing is without using this hook, the install scripts

When installing "normal" kernels this hook isn't needed. FAI installs the
requested kernels correctly.

Does someone have an explanation what is happening? Some better way to do
it? "Better" as in "more robust" or "less surprising". I really don't like
faking a config file.

tschüß
thomas

P.S.: I attached my package_config/DEFAULT and scripts/VIRTXEN/90-xentools
scripts, so you may get a better idea what I'm actually doing. These
scripts "work for me". I didn't clean them up, I didn't review them yet.
There may be some fundamental flaws inherent.