package_config -> boolean operations possible?

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Fri Jul 11 19:29:42 CEST 2008

Thomas Neumann wrote:

> the package_config/DEFAULT may possibly look something like this:
>
> PACKAGES aptitude DEBIAN and I686
> linux-image-686
> memtest86+
>
> PACKAGES aptitude DEBIAN and AMD64
> linux-image-amd64
> memtest86+
> [...]
> PACKAGES aptitude DEBIAN and I686 and VIRTXEN
> linux-image-686-
> linux-image-686-xen
> [...]
>
> Is this possible? Or is there a better / different way?

As far as I know, not. Sounds interesting, and I guess I even heard that
request somewhere already.

But instead of using the class "DEFAULT", you could use DEBIAN for your
package list, then you'd get at least one more level of choices...

You'd have then package_list/DEBIAN

PACKAGES aptitude I686
linux-image-686
memtest86+

PACKAGES aptitude AMD64
linux-image-amd64
memtest86+

But then, that would still not work:

PACKAGES aptitude I686 and VIRTXEN
linux-image-686-
linux-image-686-xen

Hmm, how do I do it...?

I don't have different architectures, but different distrbutions, plus Xen.

I have a class KERNEL, which is assigned to real hardware systems, and a
class XENU for xen guests.
Inside those, I decide by distrbution then.

That should work with your different architectures, too - but would stop
working if you add more possibilities by using multipl distributions...

I guess the workaroung is having classes like DEBIAN-I386 ,
VIRTXEN-AMD64, anbd the like...  or making a path for the software
install stuff that adds the logic you wish.

As I said, this request sounds familiar to me - maybe there's even a
patch somewhere adding such functionality?!

Henning