FAI with LVM

James james at nttmcl.com
Tue Jan 22 19:39:41 CET 2008

James wrote:
> Michael Tautschnig wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Concerning Volume Groups:
>>>
>>> I'd suggest adding in your documentation that something like the
>>> following won't work because of "-" after the volume group sizes.
>>> And saying that volume group sizes must be EXACT or you'll get a
>>> generic error from parted saying that /dev/sda has a bad label
>>> Bad disk_config file:
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Oh, this is not intended behavior, that's a bug. Could you re-run
>> that with the
>> bad config and debug=1 and mail the output?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>>

> here's the output for the error attached in a .log file
>
> -James
Oh i also noticed one thing.
Without mdadm installed in the client packages it won't mount
/dev/mapper/volume-*
dunno if that's a bug or not.

Error =

           Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
           or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/mapper/lvmtest-root does not exist. dropping to shell!

But it seems that the lvm setup turns things into some type of raid array?
I'm not installing a raid setup by the way i'm using the same lvm setup
from configs in the previous messages in the thread

Hope this helps some debugging

-James