FAI with LVM

James james at nttmcl.com
Tue Jan 22 02:48:48 CET 2008

James wrote:
> Carsten Aulbert wrote:
>>

>> James wrote:
>>
>>> Oh also on top of the error i pass the entire installation and get
>>> the following as well.
>>> I boot into the new installation and it searches for ROOT filesystem
>>> but fails.
>>>
>>> Error =
>>>
>>>            Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
>>>            or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
>>> ALERT! /dev/mapper/lvmtest-root does not exist. dropping to shell!
>>>
>> Blind guess: You are booting a kernel which is not LVM aware? I.e.
>> you are using an initrd without LVM support.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Carsten
> ok yeah i guess i installed the required pre-req packages in the wrong
> place of the nfsroot.
> My bad.
>
> Thanks much.
> -James
Concerning Volume Groups:

I'd suggest adding in your documentation that something like the
following won't work because of "-" after the volume group sizes.
And saying that volume group sizes must be EXACT or you'll get a generic
error from parted saying that /dev/sda has a bad label
Bad disk_config file:
#####################################
disk_config sda  bootable:1
primary         /boot   500     ext3    defaults
primary         -       6096-   -       -

disk_config lvm
vg lvmtest       sda2
lvmtest-swap     swap    1048-    swap   sw
lvmtest-root     /       1048-    xfs    defaults
lvmtest-dev      /dev    1048-    xfs    defaults
lvmtest-var      /var    1048-    xfs    defaults
lvmtest-home     /home   1048-    xfs    defaults

Good disk_config file:
#####################################
disk_config sda  bootable:1
primary         /boot   500     ext3    defaults
primary         -       6096-   -       -

disk_config lvm
vg lvmtest       sda2
lvmtest-swap     swap    1048    swap   sw
lvmtest-root     /       1048    xfs    defaults
lvmtest-dev      /dev    1048    xfs    defaults
lvmtest-var      /var    1048    xfs    defaults
lvmtest-home     /home   1048    xfs    defaults

This is just something that gave me some trouble for an hour or two.
Thought it could save a few people some trouble.

-James