FAI Classes

James james at nttmcl.com
Thu Jan 17 20:14:58 CET 2008

Henning Sprang wrote:
> James wrote:
>
>> do i just do a
>> #> make-fai-bootfloppy -s TEST ip=::::::dhcp
>> nfsroot=127.x.x.x:/srv/fai/nfsroot
>>
>> cause that's my understanding now. if not please let me know
>>

> Hmm, I didn't use the bootfloppy in that way(i just use a proper dns and
> dhcp setup) - at least, the test must be lowercase then.
>
> The assignment of your classes is done if you install a host which is
> correctly configured (ip/dns-wise) to have the hostname "test" - that's
> the name you have in your case statement...
>
> Henning

ok so the name test would have to be in my dns record with an ip address
already set to it right?
So is there a way to set a hostname to a host without having refer to
dns just for the sake of pulling the class definitions?

For me setting up dns records ahead of time would be kind of cumbersome.
I want to be able to setup a generic host with defined packages and then
assign it a dns record later.
but i already have a network dhcp setup which i also would rather not
have to mess with since it would take longer for me to deploy a computer
if i have to go gather mac addresses and insert records.

Is there anyway for me to set the hostname manually on the bootfloppy so
it knows to pull the certain class definitions without a dns record?

Thanks Much
-James