Fai with extra Attansic L2 ethernet driver

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Sun Feb 10 11:08:57 CET 2008

> Hello,
>
> Ezzel a dátummal: Saturday 09 February 2008 17.23.25 ezt írta:
> > > I am new in fai, and I need to setting up a lot of machine with Asus
> > > P5gc-mx/1333 motherboard which has Attansic L2 ethernet device.
> > >
> > > I read a doc on fai to make special kernel image (
> > > http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Using_customized_kernels
> > >_with_FAI ) and when I try to install it, fai said config parameters is
> > > deprecated.
> > > There are 2 params which is deprecated:
> > > KERNELPACKAGE=
> > > FAI_LOCAL_REPOSITORY=
> > > Where can I get a documentation to make a special kernel?
> > Which FAI version are you using? In 3.2.X you should build a proper Debian
> > package and set this package in /etc/fai/NFSROOT.
> Oh, sorry, I am using debian testing, fai is 3.2.4
>
> in /etc/fai/NFSROOT there are a lot of parameter, how can I set my special
> kernel? Colud you show me an example?

Ok, first of all you should get accustomed to the format this file uses, because
this is the way you specify packages to get installed on your clients as well.

But anyway: First, build a kernel package as a usual Debian package (nothing FAI
specific, apart from the hint Henning posted yesterday: take care of unionfs).
Next, put it on some local mirror or package repository. This repository must
then be set in /etc/fai/apt/sources.list. Last, add your package to the NFSROOT
file, simply be replacing one of the linux-image-* entries, depending on your
client architecture (see the PACKAGES aptitude lines).

Well, and you should probably read the FAI guide :-)

Best,
Michael

PS.: Please keep linux-fai CC'ed, so others can help out as well.