tg3 network cards [SOLVED]

Ralf Utermann ralf.utermann at physik.uni-augsburg.de
Fri Dec 12 13:34:09 CET 2008

Ryan Steele wrote:
[...]
> Ah, I (think I) forgot to tell you that I had to put 'ip=all' in the
> pxelinux.cfg, otherwise you either hang or get kernel panics.
>
>>> Basically, when we PXE boot with the pxelinux.cfg file set up by
>>> fai-chboot using ip=dhcp, we end up using the /scripts/live shell
>>> script, which uses the 'ipconfig' binary.  But, we need to tell ipconfig
>>> to time out for an interface for which it can't find a DHCP server,
>>> which is what configure_networking does using 'ipconfig -t'.  I'm not
>>>
>> the configure_networking, which my lenny/fai3.2.14 puts into the
>> generated initrd has no -t in any ipconfig call.
>>

> Well, what's stopping you from adding it?  :)
[...]
Hi Ryan, nothing had been stopping me, I had already tested with
various timeouts. The big winner is of course the combination of
timeout and the 'ip=all' in the kernel command line, which I never
tested together:( Sigh. So now it does work. Thanks for your input!

I'm not sure who else is still reading our quite lengthy tg3 thread,
maybe we should post a résumé with a subject like 'multiple network
interfaces' ...

An another point: for the first tests I manually changed the initrd, but
for going in production I prefer make-fai-nfsroot just coming back
with the initrd I need. Maybe I don't see it, does FAI provide a
standard means for this? I added some lines to the copy_fai_files() function,
to put a hook script in the nfsroot's initramfs-tools,  patch files into
the nfsroot and added 'patch' to /etc/fai/NFSROOT

Bye, Ralf
--
        Ralf Utermann