tg3 network cards

Ryan Steele ryans at aweber.com
Thu Dec 4 01:53:36 CET 2008

Michael Tautschnig wrote:
>> This may or may not be the proper list/outlet for this, so if it's not,
>> feel free to let me know and I'll pursue it elsewhere, but since it came
>> up during a FAI installation I'll start here.
>>
>> I've got a server with a Broadcom network card (a 5721) and I'm using
>> the tg3 driver, and the box with that NIC that just absolutely refuses
>> to get through the initrd.  The installation hangs in the initramfs in
>> /scripts/live on the function do_netmount(), and I'm pretty sure it's
>> because the 'ipconfig' binary included in the initrd is killing
>> networking.  I've spent a few days now hacking the initrd, the init
>> script, and it's functions to determine the path it takes to get there,
>> which appears to be:
>>

> [...]
>
> What kind of access do you have for debugging this? Console access?

Yes, I have console access, both via KVM over IP and IPMI.

> Do you get
> it to boot by some other means (e.g., GRML live CD)?

Unfortunately, I don't have easy physical access, hence the KVM over IP
and IPMI interface.  The server is physically located at a colo facility
about 30 minutes away.  I'm doing what I can without driving down there.  :)

> ipconfig is part of the klibc-utils package and most likely just tries to get an
> answer from your DHCP server at that very moment.

Ah, didn't know that's where it came from - thanks for the tip.  Re:
'most likely tries...' - really?  It doesn't just use the info supplied
to the card initially when it boots up, DHCP's, and proceeds via PXE?  I
submit, I tried to dump the binary with 'strings', but not much research
beyond that yet (I'm exhausted today, been working for a long time).

> If you get your system to boot
> by some other means, you could safely copy over ipconfig from your Debian

Ubuntu.  I apologized for only making a passing reference to that at the
end of my OP.

> systems and just run it on the console manually to see what happens.

I tested this on a VM, and it also killed networking.  But, the VM has a
virtual interface, and may not be a very good test, even if the results
were the same.  I'll try to test ipconfig on a physical network
interface to see if I hit the same problem.  But, like I said, I've
installed other servers the same way successfully, the only difference
being they had nice Intel cards, not a crappy Broadcom card.

> Furthermore, some tcpdump or the like may be useful to find out what ipconfig is
> trying to achieve.

I'll see if the DHCP server picks up anything, though I think I tried
that and didn't glean much from it.  (Then again, I'm exhausted, so
maybe when I'm fresh tomorrow I'll get different results.

> Other than that, there is also the frequently discussed issue of systems with
> more than one NIC -- your ipconfig may simply be trying to get a response from
> the DHCP server over some interface that doesn't have any cable plugged in.

I suppose that could be the case - hadn't even occurred to me.  The box
does have dual on-board NIC's, so that is a viable suggestion.  I'll do
some more research on that front, see what comes of it.  Thanks for the
suggestion.

Respectfully,
Ryan