FAI Class Question

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Aug 29 00:32:31 CEST 2008

    > I had a question. is there a way to pass an argument via PXE in order to tell FAI to install a class profile?  I have pxe giving the following menu at boot:

    > I want to add something like the following to the menu:

    > label 2
    >    kernel vmlinuz-vmware
    >    append ip=dhcp FAI_ACTION=install root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=192.168.1.252:/srv
    > /fai/nfsroot,v3,tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768  FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt,reboot class=DESKTOP

    > where if I choose option 2 from the menu I install the DESKTOP class instead of the server version in #1. Is this possible or easy to hack into the FAI code?

Yes, it's possible. All key-values pairs on the kernel command line are
defined as normal shell variables in FAI. Therefore I would use
myclass=DESKTOP, then you can use this variable in a script class/*
where you just echo the value of this variable. This will
automatically be defined as a FAI class.