grub/kernel install issues

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Tue Apr 8 11:41:22 CEST 2008

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 10:07 +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
>
> > > Just curious, am I the only one with suddenly weird grub & kernel
> > > install issues using Fai 3.2.4 and etch+etch security repository ?
> > >
> > > I'm guessing some etch/security update somehow messed something up. I
> > > just want to exclude this before I dive in further.
> > >

> > Could you maybe sort of explain _what_ the problem is? Did you change anything?
>
> I explicitly did not go into detail yet because I did not change
> anything and the problem appeared after the weekend, the days I do other
> things then playing with fai :) And if someone had the same issues
> they'd definitively recognize this from my posting.
>
> I had to manually make the /boot/grub directory because without it grub
> is complaining about it not existing (then make it?!).
>
> This complete config, with the same kernel ran fine last week, I'm quite
> puzzled why this is happening now.

That's strange!!!

> The remaining errors I get are during install time(sorry for the long
> post):

[...]

- Make sure you've got the instsoft.FAIBASE hook as shown in the example config
  (and make sure it is being used!)
- You might need the following additional code in the instsoft.FAIBASE hook:

if ! [ -e $FAI_ROOT/boot/grub/menu.lst ] ; then
  if ! [ -e $FAI_ROOT/boot/grub ] ; then
    mkdir -p $FAI_ROOT/boot/grub
  fi
  touch $FAI_ROOT/boot/grub/menu.lst