dpkg-divert: cannot open diversions: No such file or directory

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Sun Oct 28 21:35:00 CET 2007

Hi Thomas,

 > Use strace to find the syscall which fails.

This led to the problem; thank you for the hint. Once you see it it's so
obvious. It fails upon unpacking the devices.tar.gz because by default
one is not allowed to create device nodes (mknod) inside a guest; which
makes sense.

It would be nice if debootstrap would provide an error message and not
just silently die. I might take the time to file an enhancement with the
developers. Right now, it seems to die or skip some steps, then the
make-fai-nfsroot script just continues and runs into that dpkg-divert
problem, which is entirely unrelated; it's just the result of the
half-way done and unnoticed debootstrap.

As long as one owns the vserver host (and not just the guest) the
original problem can be solved by putting MKNOD into the
/etc/vservers/<servername>/bcapabilities file. (Sorry to anyone who just
rented a vserver as many people do these days.) That will make
make-fai-nfsroot succeed.

Note: It might be necessary to allow the fai vserver guest some more
freedom besides MKNOD in order to be able to really use it as a FAI
install server. I personally only needed to have the (amd64) nfsroot
created to port it onto an existing (i386) install server, so I did not
care about the rest. The CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability is usually needed to
allow the guest to do any mounting, which is also part of some of the
scripts involved in FAI.

Thank you for your help on this.

Regards,
Torsten