dpkg-divert: cannot open diversions: No such file or directory

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Sun Oct 28 18:16:55 CET 2007

Hi Michael!

Here you are ...

Using configuration files from /etc/fai
Creating FAI nfsroot in /srv/fai/nfsroot.
By default it needs more than 250 MBytes disk space.
This may take a long time.
/srv/fai/nfsroot already exists. Removing /srv/fai/nfsroot
Creating base system using debootstrap version 0.3.3.3
Calling debootstrap etch /srv/fai/nfsroot http://ftp.debian.org/debian
I: Retrieving Release
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
I: Resolving dependencies of required packages...
I: Resolving dependencies of base packages...
I: Checking component main on http://ftp.debian.org/debian...
I: Retrieving adduser
I: Validating adduser
I: Retrieving apt
I: Validating apt
[...]
I: Extracting util-linux...
I: Extracting zlib1g...
Aborting
dpkg-divert: cannot open diversions: No such file or directory

Actually, debug=1 does not seem to provide too much extra output.

I spent several hours trying to find the problem myself last night,
hacking the make-fai-nfsroot script for extra debugging output. (The
output above comes from an unmodified version.)

What I completely fail to understand is:

1. If I execute debootstrap manually using exactly the same command line
(cut&paste) as the script, it works without any complaint. So what is
different when I call the debootstrap from make-fai-nfsroot????

2. I tried to uncomment the only line I found which calls dpkg-divert,
which is:

fdivert /sbin/start-stop-daemon /sbin/discover-modprobe

in upgrade_nfsroot.

It still comes back with the same error message.

Next I put an extra echo after that call to debootstrap. I found that
obviously it's debootstrap itself which is trying to call dpkg-divert.

Where would that diversions file come from?

Regards,
Torsten