How to install a non-default kernel?

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Thu Oct 25 23:57:05 CEST 2007

Dear list!

I am trying to install a client with a different kernel
(linux-image-...) than the default for that architecture. How is that
typically done in FAI?

I can of course install the additional kernel image I want by putting
this into the package_config for the FAI class. This will install the
different kernel image.

But it will install it next to the default kernel and not instead of it.
Especially it will not make my alternative kernel the default boot kernel.

I could of course do some scripting with update-grub and Debian kernel
automagic, but I guess there's a more elegant way.

How is the default kernel choosen anyway?

Regards,
Torsten